Thursday 4 September 2008

Ouch

What's the best thing to do when, 3 miles into an 8 mile training run, you get a pain in your calf muscle? OK, trick question, I know, since the correct answer could be anything between 'completely ignore it' through 'stretch it a bit and see how you go' to 'stop immediately and go home'. You can only really tell with experience and hindsight. Experience: well, luckily enough, I don't get injured all that often. Perhaps that's because I never train all that much! It does mean that in most of my experience, those niggles in your legs don't mean much. Hindsight: perhaps I should have abandoned the run instead of what I did, which was carry on (carefully). It hurts now.

So I've hit my first problem with marathon training (or second, if you count constantly being in unfamiliar places when needing to do long runs). If I stop training on it for a few days, maybe it will have recovered in time for the Swineshead 10 on Sunday. I was looking forward to that.

And I've been thinking recently it's about time I started seeing Sharon for massages again. This'll remind me, I suppose...


No comments: