Friday 26 September 2008

A fortnight of improvement

My initial problem - my seized-up calf muscles - seems to be pretty much solved.  Rest, ice, stretching and massage seem to have got them moving again.  They're still not 100%, but I can move fast enough (i.e. not very fast) to continue marathon training.  Although I've had to pull out of running Standalone because it would be useless to our team to try and get round at my current pace.

But now my right leg complains in other ways.  My knee aches a lot, although it seems to be in a different place every day.  It makes so little sense that I'm wondering if it's psychological.

The biggest success was when I managed to complete an 18-mile training run with Tash last weekend.  It's a good job she suggested it, really, since both of us would have struggled to get ourselves motivated individually.  My knee was hurting so much after 3 miles that I would have turned round and gone home, but that would have left Tash on unfamiliar country lanes south of Hitchin, so instead we just slowed down further.  That seemed to do the trick.  In fact, after 17 miles my body felt better than it had at the start (must be those endorphins they keep talking about - probably just blocking the pain!).  

I've also noticed that the extra training has got me eating like a pig again.  Ah well, food is good.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm looking forward to the end of marathon training.  Coming back from training runs and limping around the house is losing its appeal.  I would have complained to my coach about this yesterday, but she was cooking dinner and struggling with her own new injury at the time, so it would have been a bit insensitive, really.  On the plus side, our latest theory that only one of us is ever training properly at any time must mean that I'll be on top form until her ankle gets better!

This had better not be one of those 'commentator's curse' moments, because I'm just off out for a run...

No comments: