Wednesday 18 February 2009

There snow cross country

I have mixed feelings about the Ampthill cross country being cancelled.  Or are we saying postponed?  I don't fancy our chances of being able to reschedule it within the current season.

Firstly, disappointment.  It's one of the best courses we do.  And well-organised.

Next, confusion.  What caused it?  Frozen car parks?  Soggy ground?  I suppose if the council made the decision, they had to do it during office hours, even though a decision made on Saturday might have kept the race alive.  And having 300 people do 2 laps of the park might have done too much damage if the ground is especially soft.

Finally, relief.  I'm doing a half marathon in a few weeks, and I can't remember the last time I've run that far. So Sunday proved a useful chance to try it out, and get out on the country lanes for the first time in quite a while.

High point (apart from simply being out there): running on non-icy non-slippy roads, but running past fields covered in snow.

Low point: coming across a huge flooded section of the Charlton-Preston road, and being completely unable to avoid it.  Cold wet feet from that point on.

No comments: