Monday 5 January 2009

Training partners

A few times recently I've commented how much I'm looking forward to getting back to training with what looks to be a promising little training group.  By coincidence, I've trained with most of them individually over the last few weeks.

On a cold, wet, windy Saturday morning I met James, to go for an off-road slip-athon for an hour or so.  It was the sort of weather I never would have chosen to go out running in, so it was a good thing that we'd arranged to meet previously.  With leggings, long sleeves, hat and gloves, there was very little of me showing, and as I ran back home through Hitchin town centre, I saw shoppers struggling with huge Woolworths carrier bags and wondered who looked sillier.

The following week the training schedule said we were to do 800m reps at Sainsbury's... but on the night there was hardly anyone at the club.  But Ollie said he'd arranged to meet Sibbo at the 800m venue, so I went with him.  It was very strange doing a speedwork session with only the two of us there, but it was quite fun to do so.  Sibbo never showed up.

And a similar thing happened on the Tuesday before Christmas.  While half the runners who turned up on the night went on their 'bling run', Statto wanted to stick to what it said on the schedule, which was the 2 x 3 mile session down and up the A505.  Unfortunately a muscle in my leg started giving me trouble on the first of the runs, so I bailed out of the second.  (And as it happened, without the pleasure of my company Statto felt he couldn't go on either, so it was quite a short session in the end.)

Now if only we could all train at the same time...

No comments: